A great heterogeneity of skin manifestations has been increasingly associated with SARS-CoV2 infection, and especially exanthematous eruptions are considered among early presenting signs in symptomatic patients. In this report, a 58-year-old patient presented with fever, generalized rash and systemic symptoms as urgent consultation to the Dermatology Clinic of Cagliari amidst the Italian outbreak in late March 2020. After a negative nasopharyngeal swab for SARS-CoV-2, secondary syphilis was confirmed by serological tests and skin biopsy, underlining that, even during a global pandemic, other common and important diseases should not be overlooked. The case also suggests thought on the ineffectiveness of distancing and social containment measures when dealing with sexually transmitted diseases.
2. Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med. 2020;3 82:1708–20.
3. Recalcati S. Cutaneous manifestations in COVID-19: a first perspective. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020; 34:e212-e213.
4. Galván Casas C, Català A, Carretero Hernández G, et al. Classification of the cutaneous manifestations of COVID-19: a rapid prospective nationwide consensus study in Spain with 375 cases. Br J Dermatol. 2020;10.1111/bjd.19163. doi:10.1111/bjd.19163. Epub ahead of print.
5. Marzano AV, Cassano N, Genovese G, et al. Cutaneous manifestations in patients with COVID-19: a preliminary review of an emerging issue. Br J Dermatol. 2020; 183:431-442.
6. Gottlieb M, Long B. Dermatologic manifestations and complications of COVID-19 American Journal of Emergency Medicine 2020: 38: 1715–1721.
7. Freeman EE, McMahon DE, Lipoff JB, Rosenbach M, Kovarik C, Desai SR, Harp J, Takeshita J, French LE, Lim HW, Thiers BH, Hruza GJ, Fox LP. The spectrum of COVID-19-associated dermatologic manifestations: An international registry of 716 patients from 31 countries. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2020; 83:1118-1129.
8. Liew IY, Mak TM, Cui L, Vasoo S, Lim XR. A Case of Reactive Arthritis Secondary to Coronavirus Disease 2019 Infection. J Clin Rheumatol. 2020; 26:233.
9. Gisondi P, Piaserico S, Conti A, Naldi L. Dermatologists and SARS-CoV-2: the impact of the pandemic on daily practice. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020. https://doi. org/10.1111/jdv.16515. Epub ahead of print.
10. Latini A, Magri F, Donà MG, et al. Is COVID-19 affecting the epidemiology of STIs? The experience of syphilis in Rome. Sex Transm Infect. 2020 Jul 27:sextrans-2020-054543. doi: 10.1136/sextrans-2020-054543.
11. Sacchelli L, Viviani F, Orioni G, et al. Sexually transmitted infections during the COVID-19 outbreak: comparison of patients referring to the service of sexually transmitted diseases during the sanitary emergency with those referring during the common practice. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2020;10.1111/jdv.16694. doi:10.1111/jdv.16694. Epub ahead of print.